Saturday 20 November 2010

Day 53



Welcome to another weekend update post!


This week I've been using 3DsMax to make the R.O.F.L.E. (as seen in Wednesday's post). Creating basic shapes to form an object that resembled a gun was easy enough, however textures and advanced shapes are proving more difficult to master.

I've reshaped the stock of the R.O.F.L.E. into one block, with more rounded edges. I think this looks a lot better than the rather lego-esque version from Wednesday. Also, I've been looking into textures and have found out how to make the lenses in the scope reflective. However, circles are still playing havoc with my bitmaps, so I need to see if there's a better way of texturing them.


I haven't really started the small details on the weapon yet, but today I added a little plaque with the weapon's identity code and model to the side using a bump map texture. It'll probably only be visible when the weapon is on the ground, but I think it adds some needed character to the, so far, inanimate block.


Besides that, I had a very modest attempt at animating part of the gun. The reloading mechanism, which expels used cartridges and pushes a new one into place, can now move. I even made a short video clip showing it, although to be honest, that was mainly so I could try embedding a video.




 Revised R.O.F.L.E. design
 The more accurate shape of the stock
 Small plaque showing rifle model and code
The new reflective lens. (purple sphere for demonstration purposes only, not included)

2 comments: